Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Friend Elysia

(I'm sick of writing about my stupid wisdom teeth.)

Elysia is one of my oldest and best friends. We met in high school, performed together in the Florida Renaissance Festival, and when I graduated I was sort of an asshat and said something like, "Well, we probably won't keep in touch after this," something I later regretted and she points out just about every time we see each other.

She moved to LA, I moved to NYC, both of us doing our thing, and then a few years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Sucks! At the age of 24. Double sucks!


(I feel it's OK to include this photograph because it's on her website.) But this is her on the night before her first surgery. Seriously, that's an amazing rack (and I'm sure Elysia wouldn't mind me saying that, since that's the kind of friendship we have). And she's an amazing person, too. Funny. Nice smell. A class act, all the way.

Also... she's in space!

Anyway, she recuperated, time passed, she made an amazing short video called Lose Weight With Cancer, she's worked tirelessly to help other people dealing with cancer, and now... she needs some help.

She's getting surgery on November 5th to cure her right arm of Lymphedema. I don't know a lot of the details (though it's all mentioned on her website), but it turns out her insurance won't cover this. This seems ridiculous and unfair to me, right? But while she fights the man and tries to prevent this from happening to other cancer survivors, she also needs help to get this surgery done.

The Elysia Skye Breast Cancer Organization

Elysia is asking (and I'm asking on her behalf) if people could donate $1 to help her out. I figure there's about a dozen readers on this blog each day, here's the link to donate, if we raise $25, that's pretty good. $1 is ridiculously low, it's ridiculously easy, and it does make a difference.

Year of Yes it, people! Please!

2 comments:

Pat Baer said...

Best $1 I've spent in a while.

. said...

Thanks, Pat!

Seriously, people, just $1.