Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Song of the Irish Peddler

About a month ago, Terry forwarded me somebody's request for musicians. Specifically, they were looking for a banjo player and an accordionist.

Now I don't know anything about banjos, but as I've mentioned before, I can sort of play the accordion. So I responded.

Year of Yes, you know.

And that's how I became a member of the fictional folk band The Irish Peddlers, who will be appearing in a show called "The Song of the Irish Peddler" this St. Patrick's Day.

I was actually pretty nervous going into that first rehearsal, because I didn't want everyone to think that I suck and then get kicked out of the band.

I don't normally publicly demonstrate skills that I'm insecure about (I guess most people don't). I'm usually very comfortable on stage or in front of a camera, but when I'm in a room full of musicians... not so much.

But it was a good Year of Yes task - playing accordion in front of other people is the only way I'm gonna ever get comfortable playing, right?

And it's been a lot of fun so far. Very challenging, definitely, but I'm exercising a part of my brain (and my hands and forearms) that I don't normally get to.

And the feeling I get from making music with people... it's pretty great. That sounds dumb, but you really get connected with each other. And it's not just listening, it's watching when strings are gonna get hit or chords are gonna be changed. Music is more than just the audible.

Anyway, I have a show on Monday. If you have no plans for St. Patrick's Day, here is one of many possibilities.



The Song of the Irish Peddler
book by BJ Gallagher, music by Chris Caniglia
Monday, March 17 at 9:30 p.m.
The Peoples Improv Theater
154 W. 29th Street (west of 7th Ave.), 2nd floor
$5

No comments: