Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Eating is Hard.

It really is.

If it wasn't for my office's cafeteria, my diet would consist almost entirely of split pea soup and Subway sandwiches. At least The Lodge feeds me a breakfast of a crappy cup of fruit and a cup of (probably not) fresh-squeezed orange juice every morning.

I rarely go food shopping, but this weekend I picked up some more supplies for vegan brownies (this new batch, by the way, turned out much better than the first - very moist and not at all crumbly). And I got a few cans of soup and some other crap, too.

They had cereal on sale, so I got that. Year of Yes! Also, I'm an idiot and I always forget that "2 for $6" does not mean that I have to buy two boxes for such great savings. I can and should just buy one.

So I got two boxes of cereal, one that's dessert-y (Cocoa Pebbles) and one that's healthy (Fruity Pebbles), and since you shouldn't eat cereal with water or orange juice, I had to get some milk.

I rarely buy milk because 1) I rarely go shopping and 2) I forget to drink it and then it goes bad and I have to throw it away. But when I do buy some, I've lately been getting that Lactaid stuff. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I assume it's good for you. It is, right?

This time, I eschewed (vocabulary!) the Lactaid and got soy milk. Year of Yes! I KNOW soy milk is healthy. I don't know why, exactly, but it is. They also had low-fat soy milk, but that makes no sense to me, so I just went with the regular.

For me, this is a big stride toward being healthy. Yet I know in reality, there's nothing healthy about what I'm doing whatsoever, including the delicious pan of vegan brownies.

Eating is hard.

PS: I've eaten two bowls of cereal since going shopping, mostly to be polite. At this rate, I wonder if the soy milk will go bad before I finish it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanilla soy milk. Trust me. Tastes less like a soy product trying to be milk, and more like its own thing. It's worse for you than regular soy milk, but still less annoying for the cows.

Hell, chocolate soy milk. Even better.

Anonymous said...

maybe i am wrong, but i thought lactaid milk was for people with a lactose intolerance.

and yes, chocolate soy milk (particularly silk brand) is very good.

Anonymous said...

Lactaid milk has no lactose. You should keep buying that, so when your roommate has to borrow some, she won't get a tummy ache. (PS - I bought some lactaid milk yesterday, we'll see which gets drank first!)