Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Do Yoga

My job occasionally offers yoga classes, and this being the Year of Yes, I signed up for the current session. It's once a week for seven weeks, and yesterday was our first class.

Yoga!

I've only done it once, way back in the day when I belonged to the Good Gym (as opposed to when I belonged to the Crappy Gym), and, unknown to me, it was the hot room version. I remember it being a sucky time. I had no idea what to do and had to keep looking at other people, my glasses kept sliding off my face, and I couldn't figure out why heat was on. I only went once.

Yesterday was a different experience, thankfully. There were about four or five beginners in the class (with maybe 15 people total), and I didn't feel too much like a n00b. I still had to look at my neighbors on occasion to figure things out, but since other people were doing the same thing, I didn't really feel like a Goofus.

So... did I like Yoga class? Yes, I think so.

I really hate exercising on my own (it's so damn boring), so it's nice that this is in a class setting. Being in a group prevents me from getting bored and wandering off.

The session itself felt nice. My legs were straining at some points, which surprised me - I'd always thought my legs were my strongest muscles (other than my brains), but I enjoyed it. I actually felt good afterward, so that's a plus. That's what exercise is all about, as far as I'm concerned.

Yoga is a weird type of exercise, though... I guess it's kind of conditioning muscles, right? But it doesn't feel like what I'd consider traditional exercise. Which is fine, because I hate getting sweaty.

It's like when I took Pilates because a friend's friend was getting her certification and needed students to practice on or something. It was interesting, but I didn't feel like I'd been "worked out" afterward and didn't do it enough to see any results. Still, I'm glad I did it.

Another thing I like about Yoga: I get to come up with sentences that use the words "Yoda" and "Yoga," such as "I hope Yoda teaches the Yoga class." This amuses me to no end, because I am ten years old.

I fear one class a week isn't gonna make a difference on my life, but I'm reluctant to join a gym or take a class that I can't walk to from my apartment (something about being sweaty and getting on the subway bothers me).

So I like it so far, and even if it doesn't make me as fit as a fiddle, it'll hopefully be interesting.

Also, after writing this I realized that it's an alarmingly ignorant post, so I did a Wiki search on Yoga as Exercise, and read that it's "a combination of breathing exercises, physical postures, and meditation."

I like that.

It sounds nice and is something that would be up my alley. I have terrible posture and would like to fix it, it doesn't sound too exercise-y. It just seems nice.

Oh, well, six more weeks. We'll see how it turns out.

3 comments:

Erica said...

yoga is definitely exercise in the sense that it's "good" for you, and it's certainly better than not doing anything at all. but you probably won't notice a difference in how your body looks.

. said...

I want my body to look like Yoda.

Kathy G said...

I've been doing yoga twice a week (or as close to that as possible!) for about 18 months, and I HAVE noticed a difference in my posture and flexibility.

If you keep doing it and learning more and more about the postures, those moves you think are "easy" now (like down dog) become really challenging (because you find out you've been doing them wrong); then your body will get stronger and it will all be good.

You'll also discover the spiritual side of the practice-holding those @#$* yoga poses for what seems like forever is a great exercise for taming you ego.

At least that's how it's worked for me.