Monday, May 26, 2008

Nice Things #2

This happened a couple of weeks ago. It was the middle of the afternoon, a rare day of absolutely beautiful spring weather (this May has been particularly bleh).

I was returning to work from a doctor's appointment, and I was proud of myself for that, since I hate doctors, haven't been to one in years, and the needle I weathered wasn't nearly as bad as I'd anticipated, leading me to believe I might be getting over my childhood fear.

So nice weather, feelings of medical accomplishment, but the trains aren't running local, meaning I have to walk up to Union Square. This would ordinary bother me, as I have an axe to grind with the MTA, but because of the weather, I didn't mind the walk.

And I reach Union Square, and there's a farmer's market going on, and I think I can spare an extra five minutes walking through before entering the subway.

The first stand that catches my eye is one that's selling honey, and they're giving away samples of whipped honey, and naturally I take one because I like free things, and it's really quite delicious.

And this stand also has a glass case with a honeycomb inside, so you can see all the bees squirming around, and there are kids looking excitedly and the sun's shining nicely and I have a bandage on my arm and I still have a spoonful of whipped honey in my mouth, and I remember to think, "If this isn't nice, what is?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES! And it counts.