Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Starting a Blog

2008 is my year of yes.

On New Year's Day, I had a talk with my friend Lynn and she said that, even though it sounds like a stupid cliche, she regrets the things she chose not to do more than the mistakes she actually made. I haven't thought about it so much regarding my own life, but she's probably right.

Inspired by my friend Jen's blog (in which she does a new thing every day for a year), I decided to chronicle my year of saying yes to things I normally would decline out of laziness or fear.

I could set up a bunch of rules (examples: I'm not gonna say yes to just any old thing, like giving money to whoever asks for it, or taking LSD), but eff that. The long and short is that I'm gonna try and take more opportunities in my life and see where it takes me.

And the first example would be... starting this blog. I could just have easily thought about this idea and not done anything, or even waited until 2009 so I could start on January 1st (I seriously thought about this on the train this morning), but again, eff it.

So I started the blog and sent the link to several people. It's out there, it exists, and now I'm honor-bound to see it through until December 31st.

No comments: