Monday, January 14, 2008

Thank You, Richard O'Brien

I normally wouldn't post twice in one day, but I just finished practicing my guitar, and I'm pretty psyched!

Until I get a book on the subject, I've been using this website to help me out...

http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Play_Guitar

and I've been working on the first set of basic chords (C, A, G, E, D).

After several minutes of going through them, though, I got a little bored... I know I'm supposed to memorize finger positions and everything, but it wasn't holding my attention. It was just random chords, not, you know, music.

So I got out my most well-used piano book ("The Rocky Horror Show") and tried to find some simple songs.

In my heyday, I could bang out the entire show on the piano (I used to have the entire book pretty much memorized), but on the Seagull... well, I was crazily limited: the verses for "Sweet Transvestite," most of "The Sword of Damocles," "Whatever Happened to Satuday Night," and "Eddie's Teddy" (incidentally, the Roxy cast version of that last one is one of my all-time favorite songs).

It was pretty slow going, but wow, it was a lot of fun - I kept going even after my fingers said it was time to stop. It was just so thrilling to experience the songs fresh, and I never get bored playing. But if anyone knows of other songs that use those five beginner chords, please let me know!

And I promise that this won't turn into a blog solely devoted to me learning the guitar.

My fingertips are burning.

No comments: