Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Crime Stoppers

Last night I called 911 to report what appeared to be a robbery.

It was around 11:45, which isn't too late, and it was on a heavily-populated avenue, as opposed to a more desolate street (Manhattan avenues run north-south, while the streets run east-west).

There were people around, there were cars driving, but something just wasn't right with the situation. My Spidey sense was tingling.

I passed a strange trio - a man with his back to a wall, being "talked to" by two men. They were examining a laptop and kept touching the lone guy's jacket pockets. I only caught a snatch of their conversation - I don't remember anything that was actually said, but the tone of it struck me.

Plus, it was damn cold out last night, so it'd be strange for people to be idly chatting on a street corner. They were taking their sweet-ass time, though, which made me feel it might not actually be a crime in progress.

At the end of the block, I turned to keep an eye on them and dialed 911.

What is ridiculous is that I was hesitant to make the call. I didn't want to make a false report. I thought that if I was wrong, I'd get in trouble somehow. But as Lynn pointed out (we were on the phone), it's better to be safe than sorry.

Worst case scenario, cops get there and nothing's going on. Best case scenario, bad guys get busted.

Also, Year of Yes. Just make the call and let the professionals sort it out.

As the two officers approached the men, I turned and continued walking toward the subway. I could say I left without watching the outcome because it was cold out or that my civic duty was done or that I'm not a voyeur, but really, I was scared that if I had made a wrong call, the cops would then come over and yell at me.

I know that's irrational, but still. Even if I was wrong, they wouldn't actually yell at me. And even if they WERE gonna yell at me, how would they know I was the one who made the call? They've got my name and number, but I'm just a random person on the street corner.

I wish this story had a more interesting or definite ending, but eh, that's not what always happens in real life.

No comments: