Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sleep Regimen: Day Three (plus Dinner)

I feel like this sleep thing isn't working. I'm writing this bleary-eyed and in bed, and I feel even more tired than usual. Come on, I got my 7.5 hours, what's the deal?

Last night I was pretty plum tuckered out, too. I'd been running around for most of the evening doing things that had nothing to do with Super Tuesday, and at midnight, I gladly turned off the lights. But now I'm wondering if I somehow don't get more rest from playing online Scrabble.

I'll persevere, but in the meantime, here's a Year of Yes dilemma I had to face yesterday...

I didn't have much of a lunch, just some soup. And then I was crazy busy after work, so I didn't eat dinner. This isn't uncommon, because even though I always eat breakfast (on weekdays, it's a cup of fruit and a glass of orange juice, on weekends, I splurge on an incredibly unhealthy Dunkin Donuts sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant) and lunch (whatever they're serving in my building's cafeteria), I skip dinner a good 50% of the time.

Yesterday was no exception. And by the end of the day, as I staggered home at around 11 p.m., I was pretty darn hungry, or, as I like to call it, "hungy." I usually don't eat too close to bedtime, but I was hungy, and I could totally get a Dunkin Donuts croissant on the way home from my subway stop.

"Come on, Year of Yes," I told myself. Whenever I try to convince people to do something nowadays, I use "Year of Yes" as my primary argument.

In this case, though, I knew full well that saying Yes to Dunkin Donuts isn't to avoid saying no out of laziness and fear, it's because I have horrible eating habits and am a ridiculous person.

And so I came to a literal crossroads... would I turn left and get the croissant, or would I go right and head home? I'm still not sure which choice was the "Yes" answer. I guess turning right, because it'd mean choosing to be healthy instead of indulging in garbage.

In the end, it wasn't the desire to be healthy that swayed me, it was the fact that I'd been carrying a large gorilla costume all night and didn't want to carry it anymore. So in a way, my laziness helped me do the right thing.

Oh, and as I said, the gorilla costume had nothing to do with Super Tuesday.

No comments: